Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance
Change Text Size:


2277 Highway 36 West, Suite 200 Roseville, MN 55113-3830
Phone: 612-378-2742
Toll Free: 1-800-669-6442
Fax: 612-378-2789
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


After a brain injury, some people drive with restrictions or need vehicle modification, while others find they need (or want) public transportation. This section describes some of the options that persons with disabilities can use to get around.

People use many skills when driving, including attention, visual processing, reaction time, judgment, spatial orientation and motor skills. A brain injury may greatly impact the way the brain functions relate to many of these abilities. Persons with brain injury should use caution when deciding to continue driving after a brain injury and listen to recommendations given by medical professionals. State law requires that a person be seizure free for three months before they can return to driving.

Some service providers offer detailed driver assessment programs in which program staff work on and off the road to determine a person's ability to drive. Other programs offer individuals the opportunity to relearn driving skills. Your primary care physician can also advise you in regards to your ability to relearn how to drive safely.

Parking Permits for People with Disabilities
Parking for people who are disabled is necessary for some persons with brain injury who are able to drive but lack the ability to walk long distances. To learn more, contact the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services Division Central Offices.

Vehicle Modification
When physical limitations are the primary restriction of driving, there are several ways your vehicle can be modified. Vans can be modified to fit wheelchairs. Vehicles can be modified so that acceleration and braking controls are located on the steering column rather than the floor. A qualified professional needs to assess and recommend adaptive equipment. When choosing a company to modify or adapt a motor vehicle, be sure to ask questions to ensure that the company is qualified and reputable.

Public Transportation Vehicles
All public transportation vehicles are required to be accessible to persons with disabilities. Some public transportation systems offer discount rates for persons with disabilities. Many cities also have programs where a van will pick you up at your door and transport you to your appointment for a reasonable fee if you call in advance.

Metro Mobility
ADA paratransit service (Metro Mobility) is public transportation for certified riders who are unable to use the regular fixed-route bus due to a disability or health condition. Rides are provided for any purpose and are shared by multiple passengers.

Minnesota Non-Emergency Transportation
The Minnesota Non-Emergency Transportation (MNET) program was developed for individuals in the 11-county Twin Cities metropolitan area who cannot get their own rides or who need unique transportation assistance. Individuals enrolled in the Minnesota Health Care Program may use MNET services for medical transportation needs.

Long Distance Traveling Information
Plan in advance when traveling as an individual with a disability. Transport systems can usually provide printed or voice information about special needs. Services may be available at airports and train stations to assist you in locating and getting to the proper gate and concourse. There are some organizations that can help you plan your trip.

Volunteer Driving Programs
Many counties, community organizations, faith-based institutions and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) set up programs where people with disabilities are matched up with volunteer drivers. Call your county, local community organization, faith-based institution or VA to find out where such programs may exist.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Copyright © 2023 Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance
2277 Highway 36 West, Suite 200 | Roseville, MN 55113-3830 | Phone: 612-378-2742 or 800-669-6442